Sunday, March 11, 2007

I Exist Online

I realized today how much of my live revolves around the Internet. I work from home and attend college online at Boston University -- even though I live and work in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm a freelance writer and I write for websites, so I'm constantly online for work. While I work, I'm listening to the radio online or music on some kind of online music site. I use iTunes to avoid television while still being able to keep up on favorite shows. I keep in touch with friends and family via Skype, IM, and e-mail. Sometimes I feel like I have to not touch my laptop for the entire weekend, but I still need to use a computer while on the air at 98-7 The Peak. I do two weekend air shifts and spend time during the week writing content for the station's website, 987thepeak.com. I also enjoy blogging, as you can see.

So I'm a huge geek and I've lately gotten into finding cool Web 2.0 sites that are fun or can make life easier for either work or school. I'm trying to use sites like Ning.com or MySpace.com to promote my station's website or writing I do on Suite101.com. I've also been looking for note-taking and collaboration sites for school.

All this aside, the point of this blog is obviously self-expression. It's sort of my study of how the Internet is constantly changing and enriching my life. I hope that others come across it and see how it has also simplified my life. I don't spend time commuting to work or school which gives me extra time for productivity and creativity -- two very important things to me. I can also make a tank of gas last for two weeks or longer because I don't need to drive much, so having an online existence is good for the environment. (In all honesty, my boyfriend does do his share of driving me around like the good, chivalrous boyfriend he is). I live in Phoenix where the air is a disgusting brown cloud and everyone drives alone from place to place. Traffic and dirty air are huge problems here that I get a free pass from because of my online existence. If more people here could do the same, it would help our environment so much!

A friend of mine asked the other day how I like taking my online classes at Boston University and I said I love it. It's not for everyone, but if you're a self-started and can relate to people online then it's a great experience. I feel like I get to know my classmates better and I can move at my own pace. I realized how many people are missing out on taking online classes because they're intimidated by the medium. Don't be! It can make a huge difference in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home