Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Group work for your Boston University class.

Sounds easy enough, right? Well, I'm in the EUDCP program online. (That's Executive Undergrad Degree Completion Program). So my group has a group project to do for class and we're all spread out over different time zones with different schedules. We're to turn in a Power Point presentation we are collaborating on creating right now. We're to use Impatica to zip up the file for sending to our facilitator. We'll be collaborating online in our B.U. virtual "classroom" which gives us a discussion forum where we can share ideas and upload attachments. So I really don't need to try out stuff like Helipad (which I use all the time) and NoteCentric, which seems like something that will work in a more traditional classroom setting. I have shared my SkypeIn number with my classmates so we can call one another and maybe I can conference us together. But again, we all have different schedules.

This is my first group project in online college. I'll let you know how it goes. I've never done a group project that didn't involve face-to-face meetings but some of my classmates have done this before. I, however, am only on my second class. I haven't even taken an online test yet. I'm still a newbie at this and I'm enjoying this.

If we can do group projects in college courses taken online with all the technology available today, what's to stop us from doing everything else this way too? I really do think telecommuting is where it's at. I use less gas, I sit in less traffic, and I'm not spending money and time on parking like my local friends who attend ASU. Same thing when I work at home for the Peak, where we also have a parking problem at our tiny little downtown building. I have to park a block away from the station!

I'm polluting the environment a little less and saving money on gas. I'm one less person on the roads to piss off all the road ragers in Phoenix. Not to mention the "Bring Back Blue" campaign going on in the City this year to try and raise awareness of how we can get rid of the famous brown cloud that hangs daily over Phoenix.

The time I save from not driving to work in traffic is 1-2 hours a day -- that's 1-2 hours I can spend doing more productive things like B.U. coursework, cooking a healthy meal, working out, doing yoga, or sending out freelance article queries. Or it's just extra time with my significant other. The more I work at home and the less time I spend as a traditional worker, the more I wish I could walk everywhere for what I need. I live in Phoenix, so this will never happen. But it makes me more aware of lifestyle choices I can make not only for myself but for the greater good of my community as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home